October 24, 2015

TBR Book Tag!

I got tagged to put up a "To-Be-Read" post by Darkowaa of the beautiful and inspiring blog, African Book Addict. Here are my responses to the TBR questions. Enjoy!

1. How do you keep track of your TBR pile?
I have a post-it widget on my computer that I use for everything. There's a post-it with my To-Do list of everything academic and then there's a post-it with my TBR list for my blog. I'm constantly moving around the titles, adding to the list, and changing my book review choices for any particular month. It's always there when I turn on my computer. I like it a lot. It helps me keep track of everything I need to do.

2. Is your TBR mostly print or e-book?
It's 99% print. I only read e-books when I have to. E-books are actually really convenient but I prefer print. I think I always will.

3. How do you determine which book from your TBR to read next?
I buy the books I'm interested in reading and I keep them on my bookshelf. Selecting what book to read next from my bookshelf is random a lot of the time. Book covers are very enticing so I could reach for a book on my shelf based on that. Sometimes it's based on the number of pages because I have a fixed window of free time between semesters. Sometimes I select a book based on who the author is.

4. A book that has been on your TBR the longest?
Right now it would be between Tolulope Popoola's Nothing Comes Close and Eghosa Imasuen's To Saint Patrick. I'll get to them one day I promise. 

5. A book you recently added to your TBR?
Darkowaa posted today because she got tagged. I read her post and ordered Baking in Kigali by Gaile Parkin AND Kabu Kabu by Nnedi Okoroafor on Amazon before settling down to pen this post. Good job Darkowaa :).  

6. A book on your TBR strictly because of its beautiful cover?
I like the cover of Alain Mabanckou's Tomorrow I'll Be Twenty a lot and so I bought it. It's not the only reason I bought it but it's one of the main reasons. Again I saw it featured on the African Book Addict blog soo... Good job Darkowaa! My money go soon finish. 

7. A book on your TBR that you never plan on reading?
I wouldn't say I "never plan on reading" but I know deep inside that it would have to be the only unread book on my shelf before there's even the slightest chance that I will read it. I won't mention the book title. 

8. An unpublished book on your TBR that you're excited for?
Right now it's The Longings of Jende Jonga by Imbolo Mbue (I'm aware the title has changed but whatever). It's the book whose movie rights were sold for seven figures. I can't wait. I wasn't aware that Teju Cole had a new book coming out until I read Darkowaa's post so I'm excited about that. I hope I can finish Open City before the new release. It has been on my TBR for a while.

9. A book on your TBR that everyone recommends to you?
White Teeth by Zadie Smith and The Famished Road by Ben Okri have been recommended to me since forever. I need to finally read them. I've booked them for 2016. 

10. A book on your TBR that everyone has read but you?
The Famished Road by Ben Okri. 

11. A book on your TBR that you're dying to read?
The Longings of Jende Jonga

12. How many books are in your Goodreads TBR shelf?
I use Shelfari more often than I use Goodreads and I have the Shelfari bookshelf widget on my blog. My Goodreads TBR shelf has 6 books. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you took part in this! I have Alain Mabanckou's book booked for 2016 as well (I have so many books to get to in 2016, its cray). I haven't read Famished Road either. I need to read Ben Okri's work; he seems like required reading for African lit lovers. But the blurbs of his books don't pull me in enough :(.
    LOL, I like that you didn't name the book you prob won't read. You have tact (unlike me) lmao! I think The Longings of Jende Jonga was changed to 'Behold the Dreamers'. I'm excited for that book too, but I want to know what others think of it before I purchase it (unlike 'The Fishermen', that I just had to have once it came out). Whats your name on Goodreads? I should add you.
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for the tag. Nahh, you did the right thing by mentioning the book title :). That title wasn't on my radar anyways. My name on Goodreads is "Osondu Awaraka". I actually prefer the old name to "Behold the Dreamers" smh. It was more exciting but I guess we'll see. It will always be "The Longings of Jende Jonga" in my head.

      Delete
    2. But don't you think 'The Longings of Jende Jonga' sounds like some jungle tale? It sounds awk in my ears lmaooo.
      Cool! I'll add you on Goodreads :)

      Delete
    3. Lol nahh I like the name. Yeah, add me :)

      Delete